Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Theft of Innocence

I was going to write this yesterday and wasn't able to get to it. I believe that the universe wanted me to experience the events of today first. In recent years, I have been hearing more and more stories about parents murdering their children. This has to be the most sickening atrocity plaguing our world - in my opinion anyway.

Now my son, who is seven years old, drives me up a wall! I mean really, some days I feel as though I just can't take it. Today even, I considered shipping him off to live with his father in another state. He has extreme behavior problems. He acts out very often and I am consistently getting calls from the schools to pick him up early. I can't even hold a regular job because of this issue. He is only a first-grader and has already been kicked out of several programs and one school. The doctor says that he has ADHD and has him on medication to treat that disorder. It does seem to help him focus a bit better in school, but sometimes he still has issues. Most times, he lies like a professional and gives me major attitude, and other times, he's an angel with perfect manners. I often wonder how many more years I will have to deal with this. Will he ever change? Did I do something wrong?

I say all of this to say that I completely understand how frustrating children can be. I get how they can unleash awful feelings of anger, disappointment and pain. I also understand however, the beauty in them. I have, through this process with my son, learned how to practice patience. What I do not get is how a parent can snatch the life of their own child away - even in moments of extreme anger. This is a selfish and cowardly act. No matter what the circumstances were surrounding your pregnancy, you CHOSE to have that child. If you were questioning your ability to raise it, or failed to consider all of the possible outcomes after having it, then you should have chosen differently. We all have many different options when faced with pregnancy. Keeping your legs closed, or at the very least, utilizing birth control options, just to name a couple. If you have recognized that you have anger management issues, the mature thing to do would be to get help prior to something tragic happening. This story is just one of the countless number of these crimes against defenseless children:
Mother makes up story about kidnapping to cover up murder

Life is full of challenges, disappointments, and other problems. Some of them will come from the people we're supposed to love. We are even the cause of some of those things in other people's lives. Regardless of this fact, we can not go around eliminating everyone that causes us pain for a time...especially not our children. Rather than viciously taking a child's life, how about you choose to give them to someone who desperately wants and needs the love of a child? If you choose to have children that you are unequipped to care for, the least you could do is have a contingency plan that does not include murder. However, if death is the option you choose, then I'd prefer that you take your own instead, because it seems that you are the problem, not the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment